Friday, July 3, 2009

Dear Friends of La Palma. Once again I failed to get the beaurocracy of this new government to move as needed. The papers were signed by the President yesterday afternoon and taken to the Customs office for administrative approval and checking.
They took all day today, and with me waiting very impatiently at 5:00 pm they told me that they would start again Monday on the paperwork. I threw a fit and told her that I probably would never again come back to this country where the government will not allow us to help the poor. For a while I was very upset and frustrated, but continued to cool down and wondered what would happen if we really did not come back.

Anyway, we visited some more and I thought about little Emerson who needs a wheelchair, and nurse Iliana who continues to ask when the boxes of adult diapers will get here and the old man I saw walking with a home-made crutch that was very awkward, etc. Then I thanked her (she really was trying to help us) and wished her well and told her I appreciated what she is doing to help us, even though it was not effective today. She said ours was the very first approval of goods coming into the country since the new President took office on June 1, and that the previous government had done very little in it’s last month of office. I call it very bad timing, but that is one of the lessons we have to learn.

My visa expires Sunday night, and although I could extend it by going to the airport and paying another $10, I am going home Sunday. I have lots to do when I get back, including some kickback and relax time. I am also scheduled to speak to the Katy, Texas church Sunday the 12th about the work here. They are the home congregation of Jaime and Gladys and have been very active supporters of the work in La Palma and Ocotepeque.

The mayor has donated a building to store the goods in when they do finally get here. We agreed on the items that would be distributed immediately and the rest will go to storage until our trip in September when we will make final distribution. That is only 2 months away now and it gives us a clear focus to work on from day 1. People from the church and a crew from the mayor’s staff will unload the items and store them. Jose and Jesus will have control of the building and plenty of clothing to give away as needed. Little Emerson will get his child-size wheel chair, too.

When I think of the beatings that the Apostle Paul received for being a Christian, this seems like a very miniscule setback. God bless you, Ralph

No comments: